Thursday, November 4, 2010

Learning Blog 9

The issue of copyright is really interesting when you start thinking of everything that is being put online these days. Part of it is scary (people can so easily steal your creative ideas), part of it is reassuring (that once an idea/content is put online, it is copyrighted--at least from what I understood from the readings).

Open access is another one of those issues that has some major pros and major cons. What I'd be most worried about is the incentive to create anything new if you're not going to get paid for it. I understand that a lot of journal articles don't generate income, but scholars will still write articles to aid in their tenure tracks (which, in its way, is a payment of sorts). But for creative writers, it's a different story.
Open access might be good for non-copyright eligible materials (like factual information, per the readings) or materials that would't be paid for anyway. I get that Open Access is one of those things that's supposed to be good for humankind and promote a community of shared ideas. BUT...I'm not sure this would work, realistically. For a lot of people, there'd be no incentive to put the time and effort into research and creation if everyone could access it for free.
But that's just my opinion!! I'm interested to hear what people have to say during the table talk tonight.

For this week's Head First chapter, I was glad to see answers to my questions about my page's footer--about how to position it. I'll have to play around with the sidebar and footer positions to get everything looking right :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment