Thursday, December 2, 2010

Learning Blog 12

Big thing I learned this week: linking a CSS style sheet (rather than writing CSS on each individual page) makes everything SO much easier!
I spent last week updating all my pages to the new style and having the separate CSS file really helped.

This week I'm working on adding images & boxes with writing quotes. Also embedded a YouTube video on one of my pages (cut & pasted code supplied by YouTube). Some things I wanted to do probably aren't going to be possible because they require JavaScript code. Even when a website provides the code, I don't understand it enough to get it to work. (one thing I'd been thinking of was having hover or mouse-over pop up text boxes for vocabulary words. Code for this is very long and confusing!)
Another thing is being able to click on an image to enlarge it without leaving the page it's on. I've seen this online, also, but again, don't understand the JavaScript.

So, with those "interactive" things not being really possible to include in my site, I'm not sure what else to do to make the site interesting...I guess that's my major challenge this week.

One thing that worked out was adding the "submission form" on my Contact page. I took the code directly from the textbook. It won't work, though, because that code requires a link to a .php file (which I don't think I can create...) That might affect the validation of that page.

I do have one question about the submission form: In my "textarea" box, the title of that box ended up beside the bottom border instead of the top, so it looks a little weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment